Tuesday, May 19, 2009

How did he get there?

This somewhat surreal picture was taken at the entrance to the Calgary Zoo.
It wasn't an easy shot to get...the elephant wouldn't stand still! That's because this the elephant was etched on sliding glass doors at the underpass entrance and folk were coming through every few seconds and it took me about six shots beforeI got this one.
It's a while since I've visited the zoo and I was pleasantly surprised at the changes that have been made. They have some really cool artwork that I'll feature in another post and have done their best to upgrade the animal exhibits to make them happier, more stimulating environments. There were lots of babies at the zoo: five baby peccaries, a baby gorilla, a baby colobus, a baby giraffe and a baby lemur that I saw so they must be doing something right.
But I'm still not sure about zoos.

18 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks gigantic! Great shot. I'm really confused now.

    Buenos Aires Photo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing image - I love the elephant artwork. I'm back, again :) Life is...getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took me a second to figure it out. It's great especially the blue tone for the elephant. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an interesting door! Great artwork and so unique. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure about zoos either, but those are the coolest sliding glass doors for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting entrance. We have heard very good comments about the Calgary Zoo. Never did get there - but perhaps one day. Will look forward to your further posts of the animals, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first I was impressed because I thought you had manipulated the elephant using Photoshop, knowing that you actually photographed the elephant...I'm in awe. Wonderful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. superb shot! well worth the wait..

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a really clever shot! I can imagine it must have been tricky. Well done! Re. the minis, I was so excited at the handles and mirrors etc, I forgot to pay much attention to the car itself. I didn't get a shot of the whole vehicle :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would never have imagined it was a door! Looks great and well worth you waiting to shoot it for us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is SO cool!!!
    I'm still not sure about zoos in general either, this is why I don't shoot animals in captivity... I'm very lucky to have seen most of them in their natural habitats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know if this can be misunderstood: when I say shoot, I mean taking shots/photographing, of course! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you were patient and got the shot! It's very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That is surreal. What a great picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I Love this one! I'll have to show this to my girls in the morning. My oldest loves Elephants.
    www.luvnharmony.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, this is seriously cool. Kind of modern art.
    I also enjoyed the king kong shot...you have a lot of fancy creatures out there!

    Thanks for visiting, also!

    ReplyDelete