Sunday, May 17, 2009

Street Art Sunday

Street Art Sunday #5

This is sponsored grafitii. It's on the side of Art Central in downtown Calgary which is one of my favourite places to go at the weekend because there's always something interesting to look at..artwork inside and artwork outside.
So this is graffiti...but not...I think it raises an interesting question. Can true graffiti be sponsored? Isn't the whole point about graffiti that it's supposed to be anarchic?
This particular piece is probably someone famous...a rapper maybe. Unfortunately I am hopeless with famous faces and names so I have no clue. Perhaps someone out there knows. I just like the energy of the piece...and at the entrance to a dull downtown back alley it makes a statement.

10 comments:

  1. How come it's still snowing in Calgary? When do the snow really stop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beauty of a shot. I have no idea who that is. One of the Village People?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the subject matter of your photo but don't like art when it glorifies vandalism even if the purpose is allegedly to raise social consciousness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this a lot. I don't mind graffiti, there are some very good ones, but as long as they have some sort of authorization which they seldom do have. I would hate to wake up one morning to ANYthing on my wall, even if it was Michaelangelo. Well... maybe I'd make an exception!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know who that is either, but the artist did an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no problem with sponsored graffiti. It's the non-sponsored that bothers me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Graffiti is part of Urban or Street Art, not all the people can paint in a canvas and or prefer a big wall to make his/her statement. It adds character to the cities. This one you post looks great in the brick wall! Greetings from MC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well this graffiti is a very good paint, I wish to see that kinf of graffitis in my city San Jose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Graffiti, sponsored or anarchic, is a form of self-expression. It is up to everybody to think of it as art or not.

    Buenos Aires Photo

    ReplyDelete